View Single Post
Old 04-16-2016, 07:46 PM   #2463
RoughDobermann

Well, not exactly the trip home that I wanted... Unfortunately, I chose a poor day to drive the car home from KC to Denver. It was torrential rain, and had about 30 miles left of fuel, so I turned off the cruise control and there was a substantial thump from the motor. I immediately thought "OMG! IMS bearing!" but then realized that it was just a massive misfire condition. CEL came on and I limped to gas up. The CEL went away after fueling and I went on my way, thinking that Boxsters didn't like running on fumes. About 30 miles later, same thing. So, I pulled off I-70 and sat there. I turned the ignition back on and the check oil level thing took about 10 minutes (?). CEL came right back. Western Kansas isn't a great place to get stuck, so I saw that I was close to an O'Reilly's (better than nothing) and limped off with the hazards flashing. The nice gal pulled the code (P0306 - Engine misfire). Rather than get stuck in Burlington, I chose to drive the rest of the way (also a blizzard approaching). Amazingly, the misfire seems to have gone away, but the CEL is still on.

Any ideas? Logic says something got very, very wet, and then dried off.
RoughDobermann is offline   Reply With Quote