View Single Post
Old 04-13-2016, 02:37 PM   #11
rastta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Four hrs labor sounds real cheap to me. I have changed a lot of wheel bearings over the years and 986 are my least favorite. Just always a PITA even with the right tools.
If you MUST do this yourself, make sure you have all the tools you need including a puller and bigazz torque wrench with 6' helper to tighten your hub. Plan to spend 6 hours per wheel. You might get lucky and do it in 4hrs but "stuff happens". I cant wait to write the check to my local indy on this job.

Data point: In 10 years and 100+ track days I only changed 2 wheel bearings. One I did and one my indy did. My brother had to change all 4 on his car over the same period. One of his we did trackside at Auto Club Speedway Fontana, during a Time Trial event.

Like I needed to read this I know what you mean though. However - it seems like this is going to be something that isn't going to happen just once. I'm decent with a wrench and obviously wouldn't do it without the right tools. If I could drive the car to a shop it might change my mind....
rastta is offline   Reply With Quote