Thread: Audio Help
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2016, 03:15 PM   #3
lkchris

You have the M490 option which gives you 40 watts to four speakers, the two in your dash and the two subwoofers in the doors. The dash speakers are a mid range and a tweeter each. All four (6) speakers are considered "front" by your radio's fader and there is nothing attached to "rear." The direct speaker outputs from your radio are nowhere near 40 watts/channel, and attaching directly to them is a downgrade.

There is lots more potential in your OE Becker radio, and a great way to get it out is to install the rear storage shelf speaker kit. There is an easy way and a harder way to do this, and if you do it the harder way you can make a big difference.

The easy way connects the new speakers to the (low wattage) rear speaker outputs on your radio.

The better way is to find a 6x40 amp from a 996/911 cabrio and add the wires to the new speakers to the amp output connector--obviously the 6x40 amp has "rear" outputs, and although your 4x40 amp doesn't use it, your current radio-to-amp wiring includes the rear circuits. Lots of these amps cheap on eBay and I recommend the one with part number ending in 323.

On my Boxster, this really brought the door subwoofers alive and I'm frankly not looking for more audio performance ... but I want to find a way to insert the new Porsche Classic radio into the system I have ... another topic alltogether.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles

Last edited by lkchris; 04-03-2016 at 03:28 PM.
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote