View Single Post
Old 03-28-2016, 07:56 PM   #506
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Tom, is this the color called "antique gold"..?

I really like the sublime tone and I was thinking on plastidipping my Carrera Classic wheels, I think they would look great on a white car with tan interior...

But I am not sure about having to remove the tires to do it properly...
This color is called "Vintage Gold" (without the metalizer). I think that this color would look awesome on a white car with tan interior!

I did not do the black basecoat which is supposed to give it more of an antique look. I simply sprayed it over the Porsche silver (two wheels towards the bottom of the photo) and over the PlastiDip red (two wheels at the top of the photo). As you can see, it covers pretty well. I used three cans for four wheels.

I have done this previously on wheels with the tires mounted - just blue tape off the tires and it works fine with the tires mounted. You have to put the blue tape on in short sections (because it is linear and won't bend around the wheel) so it takes a little time but its not hard. I also blue tape the inside of the wheels. Its really easy to do this with the tires on.

Also, be sure to have a paint mask (one that absorbs paint fumes, not just a dust mask) to avoid inhaling spray paint fumes.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 03-28-2016 at 08:00 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote