View Single Post
Old 06-10-2006, 08:04 AM   #13
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
This is what the sales brochure says for the 987 (page # 58):

"Beneath the Boxster's taut skin lie layers of race-inspired engineering, designed to absorb the energy of a collision and protect the occupants with computer-calculated precision.

The front of the car is bolstered by a labyrinth of transverse and longitudinal support beams. Three seperate load-bearing levels help channel impact forces around the passanger cell. For added safty, the fuel tank and fuel lines are also positioned outside of the deformation area."

Hi,

I don't doubt the Owner's Manual, but you have to admit this section was clearly written in the Marketing Dept. and it speaks in fairly general terms.

I'm not aware of any specific basic redesign of the 987 Chassis vs the 986 wherein Porsche relied on the Spare to aid in the Front Crumple Zone.

It could all be good, but I have not seen anything which specifically shows that this piece substitutes for the strength imparted by the Spare. Were it me, especially after citing the importance of the Spare, I would have at least mentioned that the Spare has been removed to provide greater storage capacity and aid in better fuel mileage. It's role in Impact Absorption has been superceded by additional X...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 06-10-2006 at 09:45 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote