View Single Post
Old 03-12-2016, 11:27 AM   #24
Gordons986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
I hadn't heard of FCP when I was shopping for my parts, so I ended up just going to Pelican and ECS. It turned out that Pelican was slightly more expensive, but in the end was cheaper once you factored in the free shipping (once you spent over a certain amount). Just something to think about.
Do you know if the free shipping applies to canada? ive bought from them before but never over $100 so i dont know if that works but ill definitely check that out.

also yea i didnt know they would drop my car that much, where can i find the euro M030 ROW springs? or do they come in a set with struts? meaning i couldnt use the Konis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeru View Post
My local Firestone offered a "lifetime alignment" which applies to the vehicle as long as you keep owning it. Could be a good option for you to consider if you potentially see multiple suspension service jobs in your future.

I would stay away from any bargain brand (you can find on eBay, but also I seem to recall ECS sells one called "Hamburg technic", so specifically beware of that) on any rubber suspension components, (especially when you aren't sure that there's anything wrong with your current part - in which case your preventive maintenance could easily backfire and cause more problems than doing nothing).

IME with other bargain rubber parts (like aftermarket engine mounts purchased for other cars), they can look fine when you first get them, but self-destruct very shortly after installation.

I still personally believe your steering inconsistency could be caused by just a worn out trailing arm spherical bearing. My front bump stops on my '01 base with 110k were also obliterated before I did suspension service. If your suspension bottoms out frequently (mine did), replacing them will help improve that. Best to do bump stops at the same time as replacing the struts, though.

Trailing arms repair or replacement could easily be done as a standalone project. When you get to replacing struts, you have a much, much larger scope of project on your hands. Hope this helps and best of luck!
Thanks! Im about 90% sure that it is one of the two ball joints/one of the two arms. so i think i will start with the trailing arm. is there a way to inspect the arm once its out? i wouldnt mind taking it out and inspecting it and putting it back if its really not in need of replacement. but i hear the TRW ones are a good upgrade.

definitly going to stick to TRW unless there is something that TRW dosent make then i will look for another reputable brand.

The other thing is that my suspension has only bottomed out a few times in potholes and pulling into some driveways with speed. when i push on the fender or jump in the trunk the suspension goes down and comes back up without ocilating. leading me to think the struts are good but may be in need of replacement. i am looking at doing autox events here want a slightly lower ride height but not too stiff because i do still daily the car
Gordons986 is offline   Reply With Quote