View Single Post
Old 03-02-2016, 05:57 PM   #8
jakeru

I have the same thing going on in my 2001 boxster base (5-speed) with about 113k miles, also noticed it after removing the center console and upgrading to the 997 shifter, and looking down at the relative motion of the shift knob to the cables, just as you are showing in your video.

I haven't poked around in the shift linkage back by the transmission yet, but suspect there is play back where the shift linkage connects to the transmission. There are surely some bushings back there which can get worn out with lots of miles. Have not been able to find replacement bushings advertised for sale separately, but if you throw lots of parts at it replacing things like the whole cable assembly, it will come with new bushings. Maybe someone else can chime in.

I did identify some sources of play in the 997 shifter which also bug me a bit, but we're talking about .004-.005" here and there (and although they do amplify to more than that at the knob, were still talking about a relative small portion of the overall play in the system). The play going on back at the shift cables to transmission seems to be by far the sloppiest link in the chain now. Now the factory 986 style shift console with 110k miles had *really* worn out plastic shift bushings, so replacing those with 997.2gt3 style aluminum bushings (and a relatively low-mile 997 console) was a really good move in the right direction for helping to tighten things up. Basically no play measured with those.

Last edited by jakeru; 03-02-2016 at 06:12 PM.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote