View Single Post
Old 03-01-2016, 07:13 AM   #38
Qmulus
inveniam viam aut faciam

To me, one of the best parts of driving my 986 S is the sound it makes at WOT at about 6k RPM, as well as the torque curve that makes you want to use the upper end. I think having a torque curve that rises with RPM is part of what makes a car fun to drive.

A few months ago I bought my daughter a VW Tiguan, which has the 2L TSI turbo with its super flat torque curve. While it is definitely quick, the power delivery feels odd to me. It has TONS of bottom end so there no need to go over 5k, along with a sound that doesn't make you want to rev it anyway. It is quick in a daily commuter kind of way. A friend of mine has a VW GTI that uses the same 2L TSI engine with modifications that give it close to 400hp at the wheels. With its DSG transmission, the car IS amazingly quick but I don't know that a similar powertrain would feel right in a Porsche.

Perhaps using largish turbos on these new fours would give a more sporting feel to the new Porsche fours, but I doubt that there isn't much they can do to stop them from sounding like an Subaru. I can only imagine the job aftermarket companies have ahead of them to make these car sound good, without sounding exactly like a tuned WRX.

I guess there is that argument that Porsche is "returning to its roots" with four cylinder engines. I don't buy it. I will bet that no matter what comes next, the 981 Spyder will ALWAYS be the most desirable Boxster Porsche ever makes, followed by the 987 Spyder. I am sure that the new 718 will be faster, handle better and get better fuel economy than the previous cars, but there is much more to a sports car than just that. I am sure the sales people will that will emphasize the "sporting" pops and crackles these engines make on overrun. "So it doesn't sound so great when you rev it, but did you hear the noises when you let off? I just wants to go again. You do know that Porsche used a turbo four cylinder in the Lemans winning prototype right? Did I tell you about how much better fuel economy you will get and how it really is faster than the old one; even if it doesn't sound like it. That is the sound of modern performance. Oh, just listen to that sound it makes as you slow down..." It will be interesting to see how sales go.

Last edited by Qmulus; 03-01-2016 at 07:23 AM.
Qmulus is offline   Reply With Quote