View Single Post
Old 02-24-2016, 07:09 PM   #10
lkchris

I'd make the same comment I might have offered 4 years ago: a major difference in the two cars is that the newer one is much more strongly biased toward achieving best fuel economy. Lots of new regulations since early 2000s. I suspect even compared to a current Boxster as well. This would explain why the gearbox wants to be always in a higher gear than you might prefer. It's the reason there are now 7, 8, and 9-speed autoboxes--that's not a "sporty" thing, it's an economy thing, keeping rpms low and matched to best torque.

I've the same 7-speed in my monster GL SUV, and I only ever use manual shifting in mountain driving to moderate downhill speed. It's mostly silly otherwise. Mine doesn't have a "sport" mode like maybe the SLK does, as it's so heavy it needs to start in first every time anyway.

And, of course comparing mid engine to front engine is virtually apples/oranges when looking for best handling and steering. I like my 986 better than the '06 SLK I previously owned, but it's frankly shocking how chintzy the interior is in comparison. But then, the Porsche has an aluminum jack and the Merc has a steel jack, too.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles

Last edited by lkchris; 02-24-2016 at 07:14 PM.
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote