View Single Post
Old 02-21-2016, 09:12 PM   #8
jakeru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
The heat shield that surrounds the pipe often rattles on the pipe itself. Attacking with a big pair of sliplock pliers or even a BFH can remedy the problem.
Thanks for the suggestion. I already fiddled with the mid-pipe formed-over heatshield, which after I banged my hand against (from underneath the the car, with the engine turned off), I heard some rattling pebbles from inside - stuck between the formed heat shield and the mid-pipe exhaust tubing. I pried the heat shield halves apart enough to get the pebbles out, and was excited initially when I could bang on the pipes and heard nothing (but silence), but then after driving the car, was disappointed to find the exact same rattling noise (after engine being warmed up) was still happening as before. So apparently this wasn't the problem!

After that, I did get my wife to duplicate the rattling noise while I had the car up on jack stands and probing underneath to generally locate the noise. I determined it seemed to be coming from up near the engine, almost seemingly up high on the passengers side. But I can't help but think it still may be something loose in the guts of the passengers side primary cat? (That only rattles after its expanded a bit from being warmed up?) Or maybe something inside the engine, but it's definitely a metallic rattle that sounds just like a heat shield.

First things I checked were the heat shields covering the secondary cats, and the one protecting the transmission shift selector. And then I moved onto those formed heat shields over the mid pipes. So far, no easy fix to the rattling noise.

Last edited by jakeru; 02-21-2016 at 09:17 PM.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote