Thread: brake bias
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2016, 02:21 PM   #7
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

As Topless said, start with tires first.

Based on my experience, I think that you still have too much stagger between front and rear tire width. The stagger creates an understeer bias to a large extent. And even though you have went wider on the front for more grip, you are also increasing rear width/grip. The net effect is a only slight reduction in overall understeer.

And as RacerBoy said, understeer is probably what is over-heating the front tires. Overheated tires don't grip as well and then the ABS comes on earlier.

I would suggest increasing the front width to 245 as you have planned but keep the rears at 265. The reduction in stagger to 20mm might be all you need to keep the front end planted while loosening up the rear to help the car to rotate easier.

Another suggestion is to use driving techniques specific to helping the car to rotate. At some tracks, I will abruptly come off of the throttle and turn in sharply at the same time; this unloads the rear end and starts it sliding. Then I immediately get back onto the throttle once the car has started to rotate to stop the slide and continue through the turn. It takes some practice but it works really well.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 02-20-2016 at 02:28 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote