View Single Post
Old 02-20-2016, 09:57 AM   #84
jcslocum
Project Addicted

Update....Finally!

After moving from NY to MD during the month of December and the leaving town for the moth of January, there has been NO time to work on the box. We left off with replacing the drivers side radiator and then loaded it into the trailer for the trip down south-ish. I was not convinced that the cooling system was at 100% working properly and the past few days of getting back into it, my suspicions were confirmed. Before it got real cold 2 weeks ago, I once again drained the water and installed antifreeze. I then took it on short to medium length rides to burp the air out and see how it was going to work. Every time I was back at the sop and it had cooled, I added a bit of coolant. This was expected as I knew there was air in the system coming back to the tank.

BUT each time I lifted the trunk, there always seemed to be a bit of moisture in the top of the coolant rez area. Then because it was cold, I was also seeing steam. I should not be seeing steam back there anymore with the new tank and release valve diaphragm. Well, when the diaphragm was leaking, that should have led me to look further. Whoever assembled the tank and it's parts was having a very bad day. First the top of the diaphragm was leaking:

Not knowing exactly how the valve area worked, I took the top off but didn't know there was another part of the assembly below that. I thought it was all 1 piece, not a stacked assembly. I must say that Vertex was very helpful in getting me some parts to fix the tank at no charge. The second time around they sent the full valve including screws. This is when I realized there was more to the problem. Well, today I pulled the valve off and then popped the spacer below the top section and found that the small round gasket in the center was installed off center and causing a leak.

The new parts from Vertex included a new rubber thing and that was installed easily. After putting it in and topping up the tank, it was off for another ride. Well the temps regulated properly and the top area had no moisture or steam coming out when the trunk was opened.

So although the cooling system seems solid, Im going to drive and monitor for a week or 2. I really do hope that I'm at the end of the cooling system woes....
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote