Thread: Power loss
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2016, 01:21 PM   #15
BYprodriver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapister View Post
Did you know that there can ONLY be ONE ARC at a time when your spark plug fires????
Sorry, but you will NEVER EVER have two, three or four electrodes fire at once.
It's called " Physics". Take out a plug and lay it on your engine block and see for yourself. Just have a friend crank your engine and see. Go ahead.
Thats why a single electrode is the hottest most efficient source of spark.
The double sand quads only have an advantage if the plug becomes "fouled" on an electrode.
Then one of the others will be able to continue in a best case scenario.
My friend is an engineer for NGK. He's the one who told me all the skinny on this.
All of it is Marketing to sell more expensive plugs to people who are not informed.
Now you are informed.
Don't waste your cash.

I am not the author, i just copied from another forum! I am in no way saying this is your case. Just things to consider.
Don't test spark visually on any late model vehicle, the spark intensity will damage you &/or the vehicle!

Electricity, like water & most humans will seek the easiest path. The spark arcs to the easiest ground which is a clean sharp edge. As the arc wears the edge, the spark degrades. Having additional electrodes to ground on gives more surface area to wear, potentially extending peak performance life. Superior plug materials should last longer too.

OE Boxster plugs are 4 prong, so are my wife's Lexus V-6.

I have never replaced worn plugs with new & not noticed a performance improvement, especially cold starting.

To the OP, I'm guessing your mechanic bumped a spark plug gap during install so he should inspect the plugs.