View Single Post
Old 02-16-2016, 02:55 PM   #1
ksjohn

Garage
The crazy S#%t you find.....

I am talking about the crazy S#%t you find that people have done to cars that you have bought over the years. These are the temporary "fixes" people do when they don't fix a problem properly for one reason or another.

As an example, I once found a 16 penny nail bent over and used as a pin inside a TR7 manual transmission.

Yesterday I found something in my boxster project that made me say WTF!!! several times. My hard top has rattled badly since I bought it. It is on the short list of items to be fixed very soon. I have driven the car just a few times, but a couple of those were at 70 or 80 miles an hour.

I was putting the hardtop back on after doing some engine work and noticed that the latch bracket was very loose and wobbly. While looking to see the problem, I gave it a little tug and if came off in my hand. Seems that the nuts in the windshield frame had failed and the bolts fell out. So a previous owner had "reattached" the bracket with some double faced Velcro tape. WTF?

Did they not realize this little piece secured the top to the frame? The only thing really holding my top in place were the spin lock anchors!

So, I have new rivnuts on order and it will be fixed properly in a couple of days. Here is a pic of the "Velcro fix".

ksjohn is offline   Reply With Quote