View Single Post
Old 06-07-2006, 05:15 PM   #15
Thumper

Relay's are cheap (less than $20), so I would give that a try first. Be sure to get a genuine Porsche one, as I got one that wasn't and that caused my new pump to go bad. If that doesn't do the trick, then it's probably the fuel pump, but you can check that before replacing, but in order to do it right, you'd need to pull the pump. The ring that screws down to hold the sending unit in place is not much fun to get off if you don't have the right tool to twist it off. Plus, you need to make a mental note on the orientation of the pump in the tank (the round side goes towards the front of the car). The pump unlocks from the tank with a counterclockwise quarter twist. If your tank is even half full of fuel, it makes for a fun job putting your arm down in the tank to twist the pump out.

I replaced the pump myself the first time and had the guys at RUF replace it the second time. It's not a hard job, but it's pretty close quarters and a bit awkward. After I had replaced the pump and the relay and it failed again within two days, I decided that it was time for the pros to take a look at it. The guys at RUF will also run my codes for free (they did today after my CEL light came on due to some bad gas causing a misfire).
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote