View Single Post
Old 02-05-2016, 11:21 AM   #9
luckyed7711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda911 View Post
1999 Base Boxster

Two weeks ago at the track, while in a big sweeper, the car suddenly died. I coasted off the track. The motor would crank, but not fire up. Got towed back in. There were no codes. There was plenty of pressure at the fuel rail. Primed it with some starting fluid, and the car started.

After about three laps, it died again, same exact symptom. I left the car overnight at the track parking lot. The next morning, it started fine. Trailered the car to a friend's house, and he replaced the fuel pump for me. He checked the fuel pump relay too, and it was fine.

So, I drove home today (about 35 miles), but made a few stops along the way. At the last stop, the car again would not start. Same symptom: motor cranked, but didn't catch. After an hour or so, it started up fine. I was talking to my friend, and left the car idling. After about 15 minutes, the motor suddenly died again. Wouldn't start, but would crank. Put in a new relay. Same, no start.

After about an hour again, the car started fine. I drove home, but left it idling in the driveway. After about 15 minutes, the car died again and wouldn't start.

It has been suggested that this could be a bad crankshaft position sensor, and I will replace this tomorrow.

But, there are NO codes at all being thrown. My understanding is that a bad CPS should certainly throw a code.

Suggestions/comments please.

Thanks in advance!
I've been trying to solve a very similar or basically identical issue with no resolution yet. Checked electrical connections to fuel system (and replaced pump relay), apparently OK. Replaced CPS, without much difficulty, (be careful not to drop the set screw somewhere it can't be reached) no change. Ran the fuel delivery tests which revealed fuel pressure bleeding back into the tank quickly when pump was shut off. (fuel pump checked out strong) and ended up replacing the fuel level sender ass'y. because I cracked the old plastic housing at the nipple when I removed the fuel supply line. Since the regulator is part of the level sender ass'y., I thought maybe that would solve the problem. For 3 or 4 runs it started and ran fine, turn off with key, start back up, no issues. I thought it was fixed, then the same symptoms began happening again. T'he whole time the issue is present the car always starts up 1st time, cold, in the garage and runs fine until it stops. Also, so far anyway, when it craps, if I wait anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour, it has always started back up, and I have been able to make it home. I just cleaned the MAF sensor and throttle body, switched the DME and fuel injector/coil relays (nos.1&2) with the starter and engine compartment blower relays (nos.7&8) All 4 are the same part. It starts and runs, and I'll be taking a test ride later today.

Edit: '03 S, 83,000 mi., Changed out CPS from underneath on jack stands with right rear wheel removed.

Your cause may not be the same as mine, or maybe it is and you'll figure it out before I do. Either way I hope you get it fixed. I'll keep an eye on the post and post any further results I end up with.

Last edited by luckyed7711; 02-05-2016 at 11:26 AM. Reason: add info
luckyed7711 is offline   Reply With Quote