View Single Post
Old 02-05-2016, 02:00 AM   #22
Nine8Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by epapp View Post
Well, actually, printing this is super cheap if you have your own printer....which I do...just with the wrong tip which cannot get hot enough to print that type of nylon. I can print TPE@ 300C but it might still get a little flimsy inside the plenum under heat soak
I know nothing about 3D printing mate. Well, never had the technology working successfully for me anyway. We have a Rolland here... literally used it twice and unlikely to use it ever again. Half day printing for a surface area of only 40 inē. Go figure... been sitting in the storage room for the last 1.5 years in fact.

Unlikely I'll ever see 3D composite printing, quite sad in fact. We are already at additive & subtractive manufacturing here with now two machines on order. Similar to 3D printing but laying down/melting solid metal instead of plastic. Similar; boring and painful long process you have no idea.... parts are literally going to cost the end user roughly x8times higher (against a traditional high speed 5axis machining center). Again, I don't get it but there you go... that's what the investors wants/need, then they'll get it.

Was under the impression that 3D composite printing was much (much) more expansive than medieval casting methods. I guess I'm out of date already lolll

Last edited by Nine8Six; 02-05-2016 at 02:02 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote