View Single Post
Old 02-04-2016, 07:52 PM   #1
Cuda911

Help please: Car "mysteriously" dies.

1999 Base Boxster

Two weeks ago at the track, while in a big sweeper, the car suddenly died. I coasted off the track. The motor would crank, but not fire up. Got towed back in. There were no codes. There was plenty of pressure at the fuel rail. Primed it with some starting fluid, and the car started.

After about three laps, it died again, same exact symptom. I left the car overnight at the track parking lot. The next morning, it started fine. Trailered the car to a friend's house, and he replaced the fuel pump for me. He checked the fuel pump relay too, and it was fine.

So, I drove home today (about 35 miles), but made a few stops along the way. At the last stop, the car again would not start. Same symptom: motor cranked, but didn't catch. After an hour or so, it started up fine. I was talking to my friend, and left the car idling. After about 15 minutes, the motor suddenly died again. Wouldn't start, but would crank. Put in a new relay. Same, no start.

After about an hour again, the car started fine. I drove home, but left it idling in the driveway. After about 15 minutes, the car died again and wouldn't start.

It has been suggested that this could be a bad crankshaft position sensor, and I will replace this tomorrow.

But, there are NO codes at all being thrown. My understanding is that a bad CPS should certainly throw a code.

Suggestions/comments please.

Thanks in advance!

'68 Ford Custom 500; '70 Plymouth Cuda; '71 Ford Econoline; '73 Porsche 914 1.7, 1974 Porsche 914 1.8; '99 Porsche Boxster, '03 Porsche Boxster, '03 Porsche C2 Carrera; '07 Porsche Cayman, 2014 Porsche Cayman.
Cuda911 is offline   Reply With Quote