View Single Post
Old 02-03-2016, 09:35 AM   #42
Perfectlap

I saw them every weekend when I started autocrossing often enough to justify buying a second set of wheels/Azenis. At that stage I was certain my next Porsche was going to be a 1980's Carrera. They were super cheap back then. Mind you this wasn't even that long ago, early 2000's. I met someone who was in the 911 restoration business by chance. He said old Carreras were everywhere, people wanted them out of their yards. LOL. I had my mind set on getting a RS clone in white with tartan seats. But part of me was not looking forward to all the trips to the shop, the oil leaks, hunting down old parts, etc., iffy AC and I kind of wanted a modern hassle free car. So I put off the old Carrera. Then this crazy guy that buys a lot of cars at my local autocross was driving the wheels of this Boxster S. He regularly competed against another member in an E46 M3. They went back and forth every week with nearly identical times. That made me take notice of the Boxster S as more than just a "fun" car. Around that time the British show 5th Gear did an episode on the "the purest sports car you can buy now". former F1 driver Tiff was sliding that Boxster S all around this English track laughing the whole time. They said the Boxster was the best pure sports car you could buy. I started looking for a Boxster nearby that I could drive for myself. And by sheer luck the exact Boxster I was looking for (extremely low miles, 3.2, silver/red) shows up within 10 minutes of my house. I was supposed to see a yellow 996 that was selling for only $10K more that day. After I drove the Boxster S..... I said no way this is all you need. i still remember the intake sound when I peeled out of the lot and the sales guy's eyes popping out. It was his first week on the job. I don't care who you are the sound of that engine running up the gears is like crack. It was the first and only Boxster I drove. Still should have bought that old 911 though. I could have had it for half what I paid for the Boxster and it would be worth twice today! Just wish they were mid engine cars.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 02-03-2016 at 09:39 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote