View Single Post
Old 02-02-2016, 08:13 PM   #19
sickbananas

If it is of any interest to anyone, I can offer some advice, I have the first z-top ever made as I live in South Africa. My boxster actually belonged to my father at the time. We had to go back and forth to the Zeintech factory for them to fit the top, check clearances etc, them make adjustments and try again. For this we got the top at a discounted price.

Without any major issues, I lived with the small things that were wrong, I actually only found out they went under through this forum funnily enough. Here is a list of things on the z-top that was still under development and should have fixed some of the problems I have.

-New hinges for the lid
-Cover for the centre catch

Cover was for the centre latch was made, but I never had a chance to get my hands on one, it would only be a cosmetic change. Upgraded hinges for the lid, this was the biggest problem as the geometry is not correct, it has cause the z-top seal for the lid to get pinched and torn as well as when opening and closing the lid, the lid and roof pinch each other, especially on a hot day when everything expands.

Other irritating things is that the gas lifting struts have gone soft and do not hold the lid up anymore, so I have replaced them, will get the spec of what I replaced it with. The electrical lume doesn't look finished and pops out of its grommet all the time.

Last problem on my top was (not sure on the correct name) the puzzle piece that sits under the rear side windows. This piece was removed and the top was extended to make it one thing, smoother with less joints in other words to make it look right. We were told that for the export market they would not do this, as it requires you to drill out the rivets on the oem piece, see from the pics, tops are still coming out of the same mould. So a piece has to be added onto the top that was not part of the mould, to cut a long story short, it looks great, but was never faired in properly before spraying.

I will post some pics of all these problem areas.
de-snorkeled, clear lights, sports exhaust, zeintec hard top, zein wing, B&M short shifter, DesignTek lowering springs, DesignTek carbon fibre strut brace front and rear, 18'' carerra 5 spokes, semi slick tyres, entire soft top delete, engine cover delete,red console,L&N deep sump, volo performance chip, raptor shift light, de-cat'ed, OEM GT3 bucket seats.

Last edited by sickbananas; 02-02-2016 at 08:17 PM.
sickbananas is offline   Reply With Quote