View Single Post
Old 06-06-2006, 04:41 PM   #1
PorscheDoc

Stop and help your fellow man....

Coming from a small town in North Dakota, it has always been engraved in me, that if you see someone stranded on the side of the road, you stop and help, or at least stop and ask if they need help. Now this may be because when it is 20 below in the middle of January, if you don't stop, that person who is stranded has a good chance of dying, but that isn't the point here. Winter, spring, summer, fall it shouldn't matter.

I was pulling off the highway tonight on my way home, and I saw a stranded Porsche on the side of the offramp (to my eyes it was an artic silver about a 1999 2.5L, but that isn't the point either). I immediately pulled over and walked back to see what the problem was. A girl in her late 20's explained the car had just died at the light, and it wouldn't turn over (22k miles on a 99 boxster...most can guess where this is going). I told her I bet her original porsche battery that was in there was more than likely the culprit since it was rarely driven. I offer her a jumpstart and she gladly accepted. I pulled the 951 into the ditch as no one coming off the highway would move over to give us any room, and I got the cables hooked up.

She said she had been sitting there for over a half hour, not one person stopped to offer help. When the boxster died in the middle of the road, not one person offered to help push it to the side of the road, instead they screamed and honked at her to get her piece of SH&T out of the way (like she really wanted her car to die in the middle of the road). So this little girl somehow pushed her boxster off to the side of the road, and tried to call for help to no avail.

After a little time for the battery to charge up, she fired right off, and the girl was on her way (with a stack of my business cards no less, lol).

Point is, if you see someone stranded in the middle of the road, and it isn't out in the middle of no where in a place that you might fear getting shot, please stop and help your fellow man (or woman). Some may not believe in Karma, but I do.

Who knows, I may be the poor sap that gets shot on the side of the road while trying to help someone, but if that is how I go out, then I'll call it a good run.