View Single Post
Old 01-22-2016, 06:54 PM   #1152
Nine8Six

Thought I’d upload something new.

Woke up early and rigged up a small vid comp to show how it’s done on the CAM side of things. This is the CNC lathe that I’ll be using for the operation #1 for the center caps. It’s actually only the boring operation (25% of the entire machining process).

This is NO toy. “True NC simulation” like these are an essential sign-off process before uploading live NC Code to the actual physical machine controller. That 2 tons lathe (that I’ll eventually video) is worth $33k (RMB200,000) and was custom ordered, or adapted/built for the parts that I normally need it most for, if you prefer. Not as expansive as my mate’s quarter-million$ slant bed lathe but regardless of the price the very last thing you want to do to any machine tool is to “crash it”. A crash while a lathe spins @5,000 RPM is actually not beautiful at all in any cases lollll. This is where a true nc simulation comes as mandatory and a priority. No sim/collision report = no prod. Simple as that.

The sim machine in the video is in fact an exact reproduction of the actual physical machine (tolerance and scale-wise). I’m only showing the automated parts and chuck for the demo but removed the surrounding cabinet and headstock so you guys can actually see a 360degree of the operations (the moving ones anyway). So you are getting the exact same view as I do when I program the CAM work on my parts.

Gives you an idea…. and different from ‘static’ renderings I’ll upload more along with some of the real machines brutally cutting metal from time to time. Hope you’ll enjoy those as much as I do here

[Best Viewed Full HD 1080p)