View Single Post
Old 01-21-2016, 02:14 AM   #1149
Nine8Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguychad View Post
I'm glad to hear that it's a render, my car can't possibly achieve that level of beauty, so I don't have to try.

And thanks for the gunmetal on silver wheels image, it confirms my original statement but at the same time, makes the choice of which to put on my car difficult. Can't wait!
Beauty comes out twice a year here. After a good wash and detailing job that, I won’t lie, takes a full weekend :/ Done twice per year so not too demanding! I am certainly happy I do not have to wash my collection of virtual boxster cars

GTCollection.com - Boxster lineup

Renderings: Yes – new renderings, that’s right! Thanks to my colleague Angie for teaching me all about (pro)rendering techniques lately. I even have access to Snap-On tool-like quality equipment from her dept!!! VCA blade… I couldn’t do any of these renderings (e.g without grainy noise) using a single workstation/gpu so pretty grateful for that too. A pic of that size (1920x) would take minimum 12-18hrs to process without a trace of noise. and even so… I think it would still be deadly visible. So yea, lucky lucky

It was frustrating. I can’t count how many times I had serious car builders (twice from a well-known car design shop) asking me whether a particular bezel shape or color would look nice(er) with a particular custom car color + “got any pics?!” (arrggh). I just couldn’t deliver nor answer these questions in an honest fashion way so I had to throw the totally meaningless and unhelpful “based on luck mate” response every time. So hopefully renderings should solve this lack-of-visual problem in the future.

Side note: All of the vehicle you see are equipped with a fully functional bi-xenon projector assembly and are capable of simulating light output (in lumens or watts). Excellent to compare light distribution & patterns. Kelvins (temp) can also be scaled. So questions such as “what would a pink boxster with Vivo projectors burning purple’ish 8,000k xenon look like facing south at 18:30?” can now be answered fairly accurately (95% visually accurate as per software’s vendor spec desc).

So there we are, we the board have a fully modeled boxster car (also have the 996 coming) and a fairly accurate visualization system in place. All good fun. Hope this will help a few fellas here to make final decisions color-wise, as much as it will help others such as Charles and myself to EXTERMINATE THE OLD HALLOGEN TECH!!!

Enjoy.

GTCollection.com - Optic and bi-xenon assembly

GTCollection.com - Optic and bi-xenon solid model

GTCollection.com - Hallogen vs Projectors

^ I’ve kept one of the boxster onto halogen with the main reflector 100% chrome reflective and a clear & textured glass diffuser in front of a bulb (as per original factory design). It was initially meant at promoting “Before & After” pictures but I quickly dropped the idea, pretty pointless. I think we can see the dramatic change that projectors brings to the car without a before and after pic! Interestingly enough, it did not stop me from testing light physics with both systems fully modeled. Judge the results by yourself. I see a whole lot of light being lost on the huge and old tech halogen reflector while the light is distributed sharply using a projection system. All very non-scientific but still very interesting results!

Last edited by Nine8Six; 01-21-2016 at 04:51 AM. Reason: Spl: Halogen, not HALLogen. Thanks for the correction, Patrick
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote