View Single Post
Old 01-18-2016, 08:17 PM   #7
jakeru

I used to TIG weld repair cracked aluminum wheels for the local wheel repair shop, and they were pretty selective about what kinds of cracks they would repair (based on what their insurance allowed). That said, the crack you showed in the location it is (out on the lip) does look repairable. Basically, anything outboard of the safety bead would be repairable by this reputable aluminum wheel repair shop.

Whether it is economically viable to do so, I can't answer. It does take some special skills and technique (even beyond just "normal" TIG welding skills and setup) to do these. The wheel repair shop I believe would also straighten them before or after the welding. (In fact, some times the crack would happen while they were straightening). They would always heat up the area they were working before they straightened. They were experts at refinishing, although you might not need it if the crack is just on the inner lip.

All the paint in the area of the weld needs to be removed before welding. Good luck!