View Single Post
Old 01-13-2016, 04:18 PM   #15
newBgeek

This is what I do: The day after I park it, I pull the fuse for the fuel pump and crank it for a few seconds to build oil pressure. This will get the cold, thicker oil on all internal parts, especially IMS bearings, race, and inner seal. This should be good for the rest of the season, or you can crank it once in a while to re-splash the oil.

The only problem I have with letting it sit is the level of the oil on the IMS bearing and seal. It's partially submerged in oil. Anyone who has changed a gasket, seal, or any plastic that comes in contact with oil will know that the composition changes depending on how much oil it sees compared to just plain air. Part of the seal on the bearing will be soaking in oil, while the rest will be exposed to oxygen. Given enough time the composition of the seal will be different on the different parts of the seal. You just gotta know that can't be good for it's sealing properties.

Now it's probably overkill for the few short months that it will be in storage, and it probably doesn't even matter if the inner seal fails when there is no outer seal, but I'm going to do it anyway, just because I like having oil on my balls!
newBgeek is offline   Reply With Quote