View Single Post
Old 01-07-2016, 07:50 AM   #11
BoxsterLS376

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc993 View Post
Looking forward to your build... will be interesting to see if Renegade updated/enhanced their so called kit since John's build. I almost bought a boxster base on here earlier in the month. It was a nice low mileage 98 midnight blue base with a great interior.
Is getting an S really necessary ?
Would a base be OK for an LS swap for the following reasons:

I can source several Boxter transaxles, G86-20 6 speeds With shifters for under $750 each .

I would be replacing 15 yr old Suspension with either ROW or PSS9 Kit anyways.

I would replace 15 yr old radiators regardless can the new (3) S radiators just bolt into a Boxster Base?

I know upgrading base front brakes to S is a bolt on upgrade.

Would be getting new clutch from Kennedy

What else am I missing? My goal is to start sourcing donor and parts soon.
I say yes, start with an S.

First off look at how much you are talking about regarding swapping this and that, only $750 for a trans and another $$600 for used brakes, plus you need rotors.

To add a 3rd radiator you need to have the radiator plus hoses and a bunch of other bits, I just saw one end on Ebay for a good deal like $300, but you will have to spend more then that unless you find another deal like this.. New Porsche 911 996 Turbo GT2 GT3 Cup Center Radiator Package | eBay

Suspension may be upgraded but I believe the technology behind the S suspension is more advanced then the base stuff although I may be wrong and possibly it is just a matter of replacing shocks.

Regardless just with those bits I just mentioned you are looking at over $2000 to put it to "S' spec and let's be honest, there are more then a few "S" cars out there with bad motors which can be had for $5000 or less.

Plus S cars are usually going to have better options such as HID lights etc.

So my question would be why would you NOT buy a Boxster S to start with?
BoxsterLS376 is offline   Reply With Quote