View Single Post
Old 01-06-2016, 06:30 AM   #18
Perfectlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrhopkins View Post
Haha, yeah, apparently that was the info he got from the service shop. The car has 89k miles on it. It was a one owner till last year. It appears to have been traded in, went to auction and this guy bought it to flip it. Here is the link to the car: Gorgeous *2002 Porsche Boxster S*
I would look for a lower mileage car. At 90K miles, this car needs have a pretty extensive list of repairs that were not deffered. And even if they were addressed ($$$$) you would need to know in great detail how that one owner looked after the engine. You're not really buying a Boxster, you're buying a Boxster engine. The rest of the car is worth shockingly little without a good engine. Those other parts are just expensive liabilities. Make sure the engine is 100% sound before you commit to potentially spending $4K on a new clutch IMS, $4K on a suspension overhaul, $2K to proactively address the all important water pump, coolant tank, hoses, etc., $1K on new tires, and other known weak spots like the AOS. I racked up similar mileage to the car you are considering (~9k miles per year) and had to do all the aforementioned repairs before it hit the 100K mile mark. And no matter how much you pour into a high mileage car, the value will remain low unless you sink some serious money into the engine rebuild.
If I were you I would look for a lower mileage car, enthusiast owned and spend a little more up front to avoid the hassles later.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote