View Single Post
Old 01-05-2016, 04:47 PM   #11
LAP1DOUG

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaps10 View Post
No one touches my vehicles with a wrench but me.

You will find a large number of enthusiastic Porsche owners who whip out the checkbook because they can, a small percentage like myself who do all their own work, and the remainder are those who dabble in some of the maintenance items. That said there is no shortage of keyboard commandos who profess to know all and aren't afraid to say so.

There really aren't that many mods you can make without huge money, but enough cross compatible components from other cars of the same ilk to give you some room to make your car your own.

Get Wayne's book (101 projects for your boxster) and the Bentley Manual. Neither will get you through an engine build but will solve many of your day to day tasks. Use a torque wrench on everything and don't assume it's like your other cars.
HaHa - I'd say this guy nailed it. Most P-car owners around here take their car to the latest trendy Indi mechanic. But, more importantly than what others do is what you want to do with the car, and how easy or difficult that is:

Surprisingly, I would say these cars are layed out fairly well for working access once you get under them or inside the engine covers. Easier than some things on my BMW's by far.

The Bentley manual together with the 101 book will give you pretty much all the information you need for everything but an internal engine rebuild. Porsche regarded the engines as a replaceable unit, so no shop manual type info is readily available. If you want to do engine work, I would suggest first taking Mr. Raby's 101 and 102 engine rebuild courses.

Good luck

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote