View Single Post
Old 01-05-2016, 07:12 AM   #8
steved0x

I have had 2 diminished value claims, both coming from accidents where I was not at fault.

Case 1: NC Circa 1997 - Relatively new Chevy Lumina that we had bought 3 days before, wife was turning left on a green arrow, she was the 3rd car through the light when she was t-boned my an elderly man running the red light. Insurance company paid for all repairs, etc.. (10,000? the whole left side of the car was torn up) and I got a letter on the dealer's letterhead that said the car's value was diminished by $2,500 as a result of the accident. Appraiser agreed, and I got a check for $2,500. His insurance co was USAA, at the time I was on Geico.

Case 2: FL 2015 - an elderly man ran a red light and I hit him with my 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser. Spun him around pretty good too Around $2,500 in damage. After the damage was repaired but before the claim was closed, I told the agent I wanted $500 in diminished value damages and they gave it to me with no trouble). He was 90+ and a WWII vet - he took full responsibility and we had a nice conversation. I followed up and he was fine after the accident but surrendered his license and gave up driving after this accident. I thanked him for his service and considered it an honor to meet him. His insurance company was Progressive, same as mine.

Around $20-25% of the repair costs seems to be a good starting point for diminished value. Some states do not allow that type of claim though, I had a friend in SC try to do one and was told that it was not allowed. He may have gotten "handled" though by the agent...

In my opinion you should definitely go for it - your car most certainly has suffered a loss of value and you should be compensated for it.

Steve

Last edited by steved0x; 01-05-2016 at 07:15 AM.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote