View Single Post
Old 12-30-2015, 04:23 PM   #7
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prelude Guy View Post
First off, I wanted to introduce myself. I am new to the forums. My name is Andy. I have been a car-guy my whole like. I was 9 when my dad bought his new 1986 Honda Accord and it's the car that got me into cars. Obviously, I am a Honda guy at heart. I love all cars though. My username is because of my old 1992 Prelude Si 4WS with a JDM VTEC swap in it. To date, the most enjoyable car to drive and own to-date that I've owned.
Welcome and its always great to have another car guy join the 986Forum!

Quote:
I planned on adding a 1987+ 928 and a 1987-1989 944 to my collection and do the same thing to them a few years ago when they were selling for next to nothing. I missed out on those two cars.
You didn't miss anything. I bought an '88 944 Turbo three years ago for $9K. I gave it to my son and we've put another $10K into it. Its now worth $14K. He's holding onto it because he loves it - I don't see any financial upside within 10 years.

Quote:
So my question is, do you guys think the 986 would be a good car to do what I have done to my other cars?
No. Not unless you love the car and plan to keep it. Selling it and getting back out what you put it will be a challenge and not likely to happen.

Quote:
Can you see a 986 with all of the engine issues resolved, everything works, and is well-taken care of selling for around $20K in the next 5-7 years?
No. Not even in 20 years.

Far too many Boxster's were built so there is no rarity factor. The parts are very expensive. There are a lot of things that go wrong and need expensive repairs. A Raby engine rebuild is $15,000 and very few people will be willing to pay a premium for it on resale. The bottom line is that you are highly unlikely to never get your money back.

The best advice that I can give you is to find the best 78-83 911SC that you can find for under $25K. This is a car that you will have good odds of returning what you put in (or more) in 3-5 years.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 12-30-2015 at 04:26 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote