View Single Post
Old 12-24-2015, 06:02 AM   #7
jb92563

Sounds like you got one of those insurance salvage cars with no real issues.

Honestly at that price and doing your own wrenching I don't see how you could loose, even with the worst case scenario.

If it runs nice and no CEL lights you are off to a good start.

Put a magnetic drain plug in after you change the oil.

If it were me and I didn't know the reason for salvage, I'd drop the oil pan and check for debris and metal. Best to get that stuff out of the engine asap and see what accumulates by the next oil change.

I'd also leave the spin-on filter off for the next 2 oil changes so you can take the existing filters apart a few times to check for debris.

Based on what you find (Takes photos for us) we will be able to tell you what the debris in your filter comes from. (Chain Ramps - plastic bits, Aluminum - journals or chain rubbing casting, Magnetic bits - IMS bearing)

The Durametric will help you diagnose other stuff. Again the forum members/enthusiasts are a treasure trove of valuable info and always glad to help.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 12-24-2015 at 06:07 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote