View Single Post
Old 12-23-2015, 10:13 PM   #2
newBgeek

The Listening Tests

When selecting the component speakers, I first turned to Google and found the #1 rated speakers were the Hertz HSK165XL, so I found where they were sold and went for a listen.

I first listened to their top-of-the-line speakers, the Mille MLK2TW components that retailed for $1400, but at the time was on sale for $800. They were horrible. No musicality and extremely harsh. Cars with these types of speakers are what I like to call Torture Chambers.

Next were the HSK165XL. These were much better than the Milles, but I still found them overly harsh to my ears. These were $500 at that time.

The next speakers at $400 were the HSK165 (without the XL) and these were much better. It had the same dynamic punch as the XLs but a much more natural and smooth presentation, and very balanced. I briefly compared these to the Alpine R series component speakers and there was no comparison. The Alpines weren't even in the same class. They also had a cheaper Hertz component set from their Dieci line for $200. There was a notable drop in quality. These sounded cheap, hollow, but inoffensive, similar to what you would find with typical component speakers in factory systems. So I decided to go with the HSK165.

I also decided to replace the dash speakers like so many others have done. These would only be used for top fill only, so I didn't want to spend a lot of money. I compared the Alpine SPS410 with the Hertz Dieci DCX1003. They were both awful, but the Hertz had a more natural sound so that's what I picked. The Alpines had peaky highs and mid-bass, typical of many coaxial speakers, sounding like you had already hit the "loudness" button on the receiver.
newBgeek is offline   Reply With Quote