View Single Post
Old 12-20-2015, 05:57 PM   #1
flaps10

electrical non start issue

I'm suffering from brain fade tonight and could use a pointer in the right direction. I can usually search well but tonight it's not happening.

I put about 5,200 miles after putting my boxster engine back together when I got a coolant leak and parked the car in my garage. It sat for a while and then when I crawled under I found that it was just a coolant hose. I replaced all the hoses (the price of skipping such trivial things when I had the engine out) and I also replaced the water pump with a metal impeller unit since it was also something I skipped and then put it back together.

I also replaced the SAI electric diverter valve, tested the SAI mechanical diverter valve (good) and then of course had to re-install the alternator which comes out to reach the SAI garbage.

Today I filled it with coolant and went to fire it up and start the bleed process. Well no shock that a car sitting this long (about 4 months but it was a brand new battery after I did the engine, so at least I got something right), it didn't have enough huevos to start the car. It didn't even click even though I had good dash lights and the headlights were good. Oh and it had no problem moving the top from "the maintenance position" to up and closed from the first turn of the key.

So I put it on the charger for a few hours and then hooked it up to our Touareg which has a 190 amp alternator.

Still no click. Put it back on the charger.

I have misplaced my multimeter but I'll dig it out after I'm done here. But at this point my headlights are bright and my windows go up and down just fine. Not even the tiniest click though.

Something with my key maybe? I'll check out my clutch switch but I can hear it clicking when I'm pushing the pedal in. The car has been in a dry garage the whole time.

Help a tired guy out with a link or a hint, much appreciated.
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote