View Single Post
Old 06-01-2006, 10:33 AM   #8
MikenOH

Garage
After just finishing a EVO auto-x school

The main lessons were:

Look ahead (as perfect lap said). Not at the next cone but farther along the course to get you ready and in place for the next big course change. It might be at a right angle to where you're going. Don't fixate, just scan to prepare yourself. Ona slalom, the first cone is the key; if you blow that you're just trying to recover. if you get it right, you can knock out the remaining ones smoothly.

Brake in a straight line; get all you heavy breaking done before the turn--sounds like you're still turning while braking and the rear comes loose.

Brake late: the boxster has great brakes; don't loose too much speed breaking early.

Walk the course before you driving it and then visualize with your eyes closed.

While in line for run, scan the course as much as you can so you know what your first course changees will be.

Tires: PS2's aren't bad but the reality--my experience in 6 years at it--is that it's better to get a set of used wheels and put some R compount tires (ie victoracers )on them; or V710's if the track is close by. I really don't care for the soft sidewalls on the PS2 even with additional pressure. the victoracers have much firmer sidewalls and turn in is more precise. I'm guessing the Victoracers are worth 2 seconds but first you have to stop spinning, smooth out your steering inputs and get most of the braking done in a straight line before the turn.

And of course you have to practice and get to know the limits of your car.

BTW, I 'd recomend the EVO schools; expensive but it's a lot of hands on driving with an instructor. You find out very quickly what you're not doing right and how a good driver navigates a course.

Good luck with it
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote