View Single Post
Old 12-15-2015, 11:49 AM   #7
cas951

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdal View Post
Recently my 2000 Porsche Boxster began leaking coolant. I did some research on this forum and found out my water pump needed to be replaced. I'm not much of a gear head so I took it in to a local mechanic who claimed to be foreign car "experts". The mechanic told me the water pump needed to be replaced alongside the thermostat. It seemed pretty steep so I asked them if this meant that the check engine light would be gone after the work was done. He said he didn't do a full diagnostic and would do one and get back to me to see all the repairs my car needed to remove the check engine light. Turns out my car was returning an emissions code and that it also needed a new canister shut off valve. He said the total would be 1400 dollars. I agreed since i needed my car to pass inspection soon.

Got my car back in two days and the same day i received it the check engine light turned on. Took it back to them they said they were receiving the same error code (some emissions code) and they said the shut off valve they installed most likely was faulty and would replace it free of charge.

Got a call from them stating that the canister shut off valve they installed was perfectly fine. So then he said the fuel tank venting fan needed to be fixed. I got kinda upset and asked how this didn't pop up when he did the diagnostic test. He went on with some metaphor on how its like a garden hose with holes, and if you patch one up other problems might pop up. All in all he agreed to put the fuel tank valve free of labor cost but i would still have to pay for the part. So then i dished out $195 more dollars to him.

Got my car recently and after driving 25 miles the check engine light popped up. And i don't know what my next move should be. Is the mechanic telling me the truth when it comes to the garden hose metaphor? I find it hard to believe an "expert"cant fix my car in two tries.

My car has this low, hollow, whistling sound coming from the passenger side of the car and think that's probably whats causing the check engine light.

Thanks in advance for the help
See if this is the sound you hear.
Replacing Your 996 Fuel Line Vent Valve / Bleeder Valve - Porsche 911 Carrera & 986 Boxster - Porsche 996 Carrera (1998-2005) - Pelican Parts Technical Article
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote