View Single Post
Old 12-13-2015, 06:31 PM   #1
Retroman1969

The hyper-daily-driver, one year later.

Well I've lasted a year with the great experiment of using a 1999 986 Boxster as a daily driver on my car-challenging and mileage-gobbling job. It has not only survived, but has never broken down or stranded me. It has done everything I have asked of it.
It has not been without cost, however. Nothing major, but dealing with age, mileage and lots of deferred maintenance from the previous owners has added up.
I bought the Boxster with 124,000 miles for $4,500.
It now has 158,000 miles.
Total investment in the car so far (including the purchase price) has been a little over $11,500.
Typical repairs have been rear control arms, engine mounts, one radiator, tranny service, belts and hoses, A/C control box, A/C evaporator and seals, gas cap, alternator, convertible top, new used seats, tires, brake rotors and pads, top micro switch, trunk struts, and a few other things I'm forgetting.
That's a pile of stuff, but I realize it's on a 16 year old car that was pressed into heavy service, so I'm not surprised by it. At the end of the day I've driven a seriously fun Porsche daily for the cost of used domestic economy car.
The question is, will it continue to have a lot of needs or will it level off as it has for the past several months? Time will tell.
It started as a crap shoot from a we-tote-the-note lot, and ended up providing me with dependability and a LOT of fun.
Man! Have we been a lot of places together too! In all conditions.

Last edited by Retroman1969; 12-13-2015 at 06:42 PM.
Retroman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote