View Single Post
Old 12-11-2015, 07:57 AM   #19
Gelbster

I have all the press equipment for removing and replacing bearings in the pulley.
A word of caution if you are using a lot of pressure - example a 20T press. Follow the standard Intelligent Machinist best practices otherwise you may crack the pulley. Despite all this I did crack one of mine ! Most mechanics would not have pre-cleaned the pulley carefully enough to notice the crack !
Do not try to just press out the old bearing. Soak it in penetrating fluid for a few days .Work the bearing slightly in/out and re-soak ,repeat. It may take days before the bearing eventually comes out with reasonable force. No beating with a hammer and drift !
Clean the inside of the pulley scrupulously . Freeze the replacement bearing . Warm up the pulley .I used a little 'bearing fit' as a lube when installing the new bearing.
Make sure it is fully seated .Work quickly because of the bearing fit! Make sure the bearing is 'square' in the pulley. Spin the pulley on the new bearing to check for run out. It is easy to distort the pulley if you are clumsy with an overpowering press.
Check that all the pulleys are aligned with a long straightedge. The a/c pulley on mine needed a shim.
But why do all this? Rock Auto has the Pulley for the price of a bearing !NAFYYY
RockAuto Parts Catalog
and

RockAuto Auto Parts
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote