View Single Post
Old 12-07-2015, 07:26 PM   #6
jakeru

Quote:
Originally Posted by epapp View Post
... Then, one morning I released the clutch and got especially bad chatter (was trying to focus on not merging into a truck when releasing the clutch). That chatter broke my clutch fork, causing the clutch to feel like it was releasing higher on the pedal (clutch fork wasn't engaging the pressure plate completely when pushed down/released). Eventually I couldn't get it in any gear when the engine was running. ...
Wow, thanks for sharing this experience and cautionary tale of your clutch release fork breaking!

I will make sure to at least give mine a good inspection (if not just outright preventively replace, as you suggest, it sounds like a relatively inexpensive part).

In the meantime, I'll try to go easy on the clutch to keep the chatter down. (As driving conditions allow, at least!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcslocum View Post
The chirp sound like the throw-out bearing is letting you know it's at the end of life.
Sounds plausible to me. I found a service bulletin on similar symptom (on a different application) caused by throw out bearing "skipping" on the pressure plate fingers. (Apparently normally, they're supposed to be in constant contact):
http://bulletins.schaeffler-aftermarket.us/displayTB.phtml?number=LB158

Seems like it might be what's happening in my case also of the 986 mechanism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcslocum View Post
The grabby clutch is also an indication, if it's original, that it's time to go new. The flywheel has 2 parts cushioned by rubber that can wear out as the rubber gets beaten up in use. The clutch disc has no springs in it like most do, that is what the rubber in the flywheel is for on the Box. The flywheel has a measurement for wear and a used one is an option. There are some good prices on clutch kits out there, so shop around.
I'm surprised the dual-mass flywheel has rubber in it! Was aware of the large curved coil springs, and the ball bearing in the middle (separating the two "masses"). I can perhaps see rubber being used to dampen the oscillations, somehow? Any additional details on rubber in DMF 986 applications would be good to know.

Here's the cutaway view visualization I have of a dual-mass flywheel (is it correct for 986 application?)
http://webcat.schaeffler-aftermarket.com/pim/upload/schaefflerDocs/datasheet/base/415_417_se_verb_en.pdf
(The normal "spring center" clutch discs that I'm familiar with on other applications do not use rubber.)

As for replacement clutch parts, I'm leaning toward the LuK kit. (Also LuK seems to have the most reasonably priced new dual mass flywheel, if I decide to replace that with new.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
... i would say symptoms of a worn dual mass fly wheel.

Also at 110 k miles the clutch system itself could be worn. If it's the first clutch i would recommend to replace it.

In general i would first pull transmission and than decide what as to be replaced. Also inspect IMSB and crankshaft bearing. But if it's the first clutch i would replace everything related incl. dual mass flywheel.

If you would have slip in the clutch the clutch system would have been totally gone, because it adjusts itself (because it's hydraulic). In general this systems work without slip until some part really breaks or is completely shot. ...
Thanks for the great tips!

I suppose I will weigh my cost of having the vehicle out of commission for a bit longer waiting for parts, versus having replacement parts lined up in advance (which may be overkill).

[And yes, I understand having the transmission out will be a natural time to inspect or otherwise preventively service the intermediate shaft bearing and rear main seal.]

Last edited by jakeru; 12-07-2015 at 07:39 PM.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote