View Single Post
Old 12-07-2015, 05:45 PM   #7
Mark_T

I'll weigh in on this one. This will be all my opinion, but I can back my opinion with results - 1990 Canadian champion, ISU Standard Pistol

A handgun is difficult to shoot well and requires much training. Mastering the basic fundamentals is key.

I started with an good quality air pistol, a Feinwekrbau. This allows you to master your fundamentals before dealing with the noise and recoil. Starting with too much gun too soon can cause you to develop a flinch which can be difficult to overcome. Practice until your group is smaller than a dime at that 10 meter distance.

From there I moved on to a .22. The Ruger Mark III is an excellent choice for starters - reliable and accurate. Again, this allows you to further your skills while still having minimal noise and recoil to deal with.

With this method of training I found I could fire any centerfire handgun accurately. I particularly liked the .44. I've had S&W 29's, Redhawks and Super Blackhawks and I can guarantee you that you won't hit squat with these guns if you haven't developed a good skill set first.

Now, as far as what gun would I carry for defense (if we were allowed to do that here in Canada), my first choice would be an accurized 1911 in 45 ACP. That's totally a personal preference as that gun just worked for me. A good choice that would work for just about anyone would be the .40 Glock - hard-hitting, accurate, reliable, lightweight, and relatively easy to fire well.

Get into competition and shoot regularly. Practice your draw and be totally comfortable with the gun you choose. Be fully prepared and committed to using it should the situation arise.

If we're talking home defense here, I wouldn't use a handgun. A good short-barrelled 12 gauge is the way to go. My preference here would be the Winchester Defender, probably the fastest cycling pump out there, with practice of course. Five aimed and controlled shots in under 2 1/2 seconds is quite achievable.

Last edited by Mark_T; 12-08-2015 at 07:27 PM.
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote