View Single Post
Old 11-20-2015, 12:48 PM   #8
Gelbster

In previous posts we have done deep research into this subject .
There are lots of opinions from people who seem to know little about the chemistry that makes a particular lubricant suitable for the 6 speed gearbox.
There are more significant recommendations from the few who actually rebuild these gearboxes.
A few us us researched ,shared & debated the technicalities (not opinions) a while back. The short version was to use the factory fill. Swepco 201 was an alternative but it unfortunately lacks some of the significant(?) tribological additives in the Shell factory fill. We failed to find a way of boosting the critical additives in non-Shell oil.
My opinion is that part of the 2nd gear issue is the engagement problem(detent) but that insufficient(or depleted?) friction modifiers cause the synchronizer on 2nd to be ineffective in fast gear changes.In stead of speculating ,i reluctantly chose to replace the oil at 60k or less intervals with Shell factory fill.I was hoping to come up with an improvement on the Shell but failed. It has been reported that the gbox lubricant is seldom changed at any mileage and that may explain the failures/problems.
But the pros/cons of specific lubricants are trivial if the seal has failed on the infamous bearing and the 2nd gear teeth are worn. Why? Because you'll be removing and rebuilding the gearbox eventually to replace that bearing and 2nd gear.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote