View Single Post
Old 11-10-2015, 06:05 PM   #36
Jim Rockford

I've had experience with NB's (including the Mazdaspeed turbo'd Miata), and NC's (including a Skip Barber spec NC around Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca), and also quite a bit of seat time with the ND on canyon roads outside LA. No experience with the NA. I currently own a 2000 non-S Boxster.

Each of the Miatas had a common thread, directness. Absolute unmatched precision in the shifter, and laser like road connection. They were all also inadequately tired. The NBs and NCs really felt like short wheelbase cars, and the ND is less direct and actually more vague, but ultimately feels like it's gained grip levels far beyond the former cars and doesn't feel as eager to let go in the snappy fashion that the former cars did. Feels more like an RX-8 in wheelbase behaviour (another car that I have extensive experience with).

The Boxster has a slop in the steering at low speed and a shifter that cannot come anywhere near the Miata, but once the steering weights up at speed, the road feel gets far better, the feeling of mechanical grip over the Miata is considerable and the balance is even better (which is hard to believe). Keep in mind these are viewpoints from all vehicles that are not modified, or mildly modified.

The brakes on the Boxster are really something special. Like nothing I've ever felt before. Pedal feel is firm and has a real heft to it, whereas the Miata is dainty and you can modulate the brake with your big toe but it's lacks that built of pure granite type feel. Ultimately I prefer the Boxster brakes.

Power obviously goes to the Boxster which pulls out of the corner with some reasonable level of authority versus the Miata which is fun but you always feel you want more. The Mazdaspeed Miata was the answer for that but the NB chassis wasn't a formidable match, and was a terrible fit for 6ft plus drivers. I'd like to see how the ND feels with that engine chassis combination. As a prior poster mentioned the ND is also much more accommodating of longer individuals.

Ultimately my take is that they're both great fun cars, but they're both different cars. And I would salute owners of each with equal respect.
Jim Rockford is offline   Reply With Quote