Thread: vintage racer
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2015, 04:23 PM   #5
Racer Boy
Racer Boy

If it were me, I'd go with the 240Z, as they are fairly reliable, and fast enough to be interesting. The Fiat would be my second choice, as they are pretty fun to drive, but will require more work than the Datsun. The Triumph will be constant work to keep running, but won't be as fun as the Fiat. I wouldn't even consider the Karmann Ghia, as they are so slow that you spend all your time looking in the mirror trying not to get run over, both on the street and especially the track. Even if you are able to upgrade the power, the chassis and brakes are truly antique designs that will make you wish that you had something else. Plus, they really aren't that much fun to drive. I know you are leaning towards the VW, but I just can't see that as being a good option.

thstone is right, buy a car that is already built into a race car.

You may want to have a street car that you can race, or vice versa, but driving a street car on the track with other race cars won't be fun. You will only be in everyone's way, because you'll be a lot slower than the cars that have been built to be raced. Driving a race car on the street also isn't much fun. I've done both, and once I decided to have it one way or the other, and not both ways, I was a lot happier.

Last edited by Racer Boy; 10-25-2015 at 04:28 PM.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote