View Single Post
Old 10-16-2015, 07:52 AM   #27
01BOXYS

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Greetings Springman26,

The emergency brake cover is one of the factory options on my car (X98 - Aluminum/Leather Parking Brake Handle, along with X97 - Aluminum/Leather Shift Knob).

Glad the project went well for you. In my quest to make additional space available, I did a bit of dash reconfiguring as well.

I removed the cup holder module, that was at the top of my 'dash stack' above the radio, and moved the climate control module to the old cup holder position. I bought a factory storage cubby module, and inserted that where the climate module originally resided, leaving the CD storage module in its original location below the radio. While I may make it sound like moving these modules around is like playing with Legos, getting the wiring harnesses re-positioned does take considerable patience and nimble fingers. Snaking the climate control module harness up through the back of the metal support bracketry was a PITA. Being possessed with the patience of Job, I managed to get everything re-positioned and looking factory spec in about an hour.

At the end of the day, I never trusted the factory pop-out cup holders to securely hold any kind of beverage container. When I'm behind the wheel, having a beverage handy is probably last on my list of gotta' haves anyway. I'm too focused on wringing the last ounce of GO from my car to be worried about sipping on a soda.

Enjoy!
I complete the same transformation you did and I will agree moving the harness for the AC controls up to the top cup holder spot was a bit a PIMA but patience does go along way with this project. I just a bent up wire coat hanger fished through the cup holder slot down the AC controls and attached to the harness. This enabled me to get the harness started in its journey north through the very tight space behind the console brackets. I then removed the side panels for the center console and was able to get my fingers to manipulate the harness enough so I push it up to the cup hold slot. Once the harness was in this slot there is not alot of extra length to play with so connecting the harness to the AC controller was a good test of memory and soft touch when plugging in.

All the trouble was way worth it for me as I to did not trust the cup holders and thought it was a disaster waiting to happen. The new setup is great for me and now just need to source the extra storage bin to replace the CD holder which I dont use.