View Single Post
Old 10-05-2015, 04:44 AM   #11
jcslocum
Project Addicted

Here are some more small projects that have been done when frustrated getting the electrics to work or waiting for parts to come.

Interior all messed up filthy, even the small stuff!

Barb, Allie's mom and resident seamstress and all around renaissance gal, covered the arm rest and handle cover in leather.

We all think the Boxster has some weak styling cues, so in order to add a bit of excitment to what I think are some boring slab sides with too much Arena Red, I painted the vent grills to match the wheels.

A small thing, but it adds a bit of visual interest and color. I also have polished up the very cloudy/milky headlights and we will add the smoked side marker lights too. The orange doesn't go well with the red. I have some light window tint and will try this on the front orange areas to see if that helps... You never know and I had it laying around.

I also fixed the cubby cover hinge. The hinge was snapped off and I thought it was part of the lid, so when I ordered on from Woody to replace the cover that had been shredded in the vermin death match, that I would get the hinge too. Well, no, that NOT how it works, the hinge is part of the console! Luckily Porsche make a nice hinge repair kit that is very well thought out and is quite easy to install.

A new metal hinge is good. 10 minutes to install and the cubby is all fixed!

The ignition switch was also acting up. Everything operated properly )once Igit things working from other issues) but it didn't return from the start position to the ON position and when the key was pulled out, the bell sometimes continued to ding. I pulled the dashboard vent and the duct out and it then took about 5 minutes to replace. Right hand in the duct hole and one hand up from under the dash. I used a small flat edged screw driver bit in a 1/4" drive ratchet and the screws backed out very easily. Pop new switch in, and Audi switch for something like 7 bucks, and tighten up again with the ratchet. Getting and using small screwdriver in there and then rotating it was just too much work!!

New ignition switch works like it should and might have fixed some other issues I didn't even know about... yet.

The headlights were working except for the low beams. Well I thought this was going to be the rotary light switch, so one of the goodies Woody had sent me was a new (used) working switch. Well, that wasn't the problem! Some PO had installed HID lamps and the rest of that stuff and both were burned out!! Who would have figured both would go bad. I only figured this out fully once I pulled the headlights and started checking the plug for voltage. 2 new H7 bulbs and we were back in business with lights!

A full interior would have busted the budget of $1500 and as a cheep yank, that just isn't done unless it's a critical mission or safety part. Most of the interior has cleaned up exceptionally well and new seats will be the only thing needed. Porsche uses good quality stuff inside except for the rubbery crap and the sticky radio knobs.

The next post will be about the IMS replacement that was done this weekend.
1986 944, 2000 Boxster

Last edited by jcslocum; 10-05-2015 at 04:50 AM.
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote