View Single Post
Old 05-19-2006, 07:50 PM   #10
marcb

Need same kinda help..

This thread is really interesting: I have a 2000 Boxster and there is a loud deep metallic rattle/rumble coming form the vacinity of the rear driver's side wheel arch. It's only apparent over sharp bumps or potholes much as you decribe but once loose and rattling is apparent over even minor bumps or vibrations until I have left the car stationary for a while. Then it seems to settle until the next big bump.

I just took it to my local main dealer as the 60K service was due - they have looked at this problem twice now for a total of about 8 hours with both technicians at a loss as to what it could be. Not sway bars, everything apparent has been tightened, and they suggested changing both struts to "see if it fixes the noise"! Sorry, but $2K in repairs without a guarantee is not a good option.

Anyone have any further clues as to what this could be? Like I say - it needs a good bump or set of bumps to get the loose rattling/rumbling started and then any vibration there after will set it going again. Not speed related and all shocks feel fine with plenty of motion and bounce in them. Happens roof up or down.

Alternatively - anyone know of a good Boxster mechanic in Orange County with the patience & time to figure such a problem out? The main dealer guys are all about throughput and get frustrated if they can't just change a part or figure something out relatively quickly I guess.

Thanks - any help much appreciated.
MB
marcb is offline   Reply With Quote