View Single Post
Old 09-20-2015, 11:17 AM   #1
Racer Boy
Racer Boy

New Member From Seattle

I just bought a 2002 base model Boxster with 144,000 miles from my boss. Crazy, right? He is actually a buddy of mine, besides being a co-worker. I traded a Yamaha FZ1 and two older dirt bikes, plus some cash for the Boxster. He had traded some collector firearms for the car, and wanted to flip it pretty quickly.

Although the car has high miles, it does appear to be in pretty good shape. No, the IMS has not been upgraded, and I'm not going to worry about it at this point. Everything seems to work properly, except the tuner part of the stereo can't find a station, so I'll take a look at the antenna connection. The suspension has some very bad clunks, so I'm guessing I have some trailing arm and possibly drop link replacements in my future.

So far I've only had one real opportunity to drive the car really quickly, and although it does handle well, it feels a bit floaty, so I'm guessing the struts will need replacement as well.

I used to race in amateur sports car racing, winning several class championships at the regional level, but haven't raced in around six years. One of the reasons I got the Boxster was to do track days for my mental health, as the only driving I do now is just daily commuting, etc. Driving is nothing but a chore now, and I really miss being able to push a car and have some fun.

I used to race a Spec Miata, and my original plan was to get another Miata (which are really terrific cars; very fun to drive, and unlike the Boxster, pretty bullet-proof). I was going to swap the stock engine for a Honda V6 to get more straight-line performance, but by the time I got done with that project, I was going to have more money (not to mention time) into it than getting this Boxster. The Boxster would be just about as quick, but be a lot more comfortable as a street driver, so I made the trade with my buddy. Besides, I'd never owned a Porsche before!

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself to the forum, and I look forward to being part of the community here, and mining the forum for relevant technical information. My place of residence is Seattle, WA, I'm fortunate to be married to a fantastic Norwegian woman, and also ride motorcycles on the street (I now only have one bike left after trading the other three off, a Kawasaki Concours 1400).

Last edited by Racer Boy; 09-20-2015 at 08:16 PM.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote