Thread: Hey, honey.....
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2015, 05:27 PM   #8
Timco
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
You eat it all yourself?

You have any problems with the hive dieing off? If you believe everything you read bees dieing off is a huge problem. Here in Arizona I've had several unwelcome hives at the house. I've felt bad about it to the point I actual found someone that moves them instead of exterminating them. Costs more but felt it was worth it.
We still have 15 quarts on the shelf which is a mix of the last two years, which were 45lbs & 55lbs. We eat it and give a lot away to family & friends. It's cool stuff and tastes great. Inner city honey! We are by the U and bees have a 3-mile radius range so they're all over the U and east of that even.

If the hive dies, it's my fault. They are set up just right for brood space and winter food (honey) and blanks on the outside for insulation. If they split like they did this year, it's my fault. I should have checked them more often and added a super earlier.

As a single hive keeper, it's easy to manipulate them and keep them healthy.

'Unwanted' bees are worth $150+ as a working hive here. That's why there's dozens of people that will get them for free. If a scout bee thinks your siding has a large enough cavity, and smells like bees have used it before, they will always use it. It needs to be sealed up.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote