View Single Post
Old 08-17-2015, 12:07 AM   #7
husker boxster

I think interest in racing in general is declining. You see LOTs of empty seats at NASCAR events and the Indy 500. Speaking of NASCAR, it will be interesting to see if ISC takes over management if they'd propose a Sprint Cup event there. They already have one at Sonoma and I doubt the area could support 2 races, so do they yank Sonoma to promote one at "their" track. Not a good relationship building experience, but NASCAR has done stuff like this in the past. Would think LS would be kind of crowded with 43 cars on a narrow track. Never been to Sonoma but it seems to be a more NASCAR friendly track from watching on TV.

thstone - here was my training video. Probably watched it 100 times (not kidding).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPF5Nbmc84w

That and I found an excellent series of 3 YT videos by Chris Zang on corner by corner breakdown of LS and where you needed to be setting up ea corner (like driving under the Z of Mazda on the straight).

In watching the training video again, I see what you mean about using all of the track. Last fall when I presented this LS and KS Spdwy video, you also mentioned using all of the track. I tried to remember that when I ran COTA this yr and hopefully have gotten better at it. And now when I look back at my LS video, I see that I could have begun accelerating much sooner than I did then. That's part of my learning a new track and gaining experience / confidence - I generally go conservative and build up speed. I could probably get there faster trusting that I can accelerate at or before the apex rather than just past it. I also like to watch the video I shoot that night to see what I can improve on the next day but we had a banquet to go to that Sat night so it was too late to download everything and watch it. I watched my COTA film ea night and got significantly better ea day.

I considered running at LS last yr as a bucket list activity. Based on the current circumstances, last yr may have been my only chance to run there. I hope that's not true.

Here's this yr's COTA vid. I appreciate your comment about unwinding the steering and will work on that too. I can see unwinding the wheel will use more track and allow me to accelerate harder out of a turn. All good things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUkDDAgQUJU
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote