View Single Post
Old 08-16-2015, 02:26 PM   #4
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

I've raced there under 93, 103, and unlimited levels. Luckily, I still had my stock Boxster exhaust for the 93db noise level weekend. Cat delete with the Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust will meet 103db level easily.

Great story summarizing all of the contradictions that exist around the facility. They want more money but severely limit the number of racing days along with the sound levels - not the best path to increasing revenue at a time when racing attendance is generally down.

The standard track financial recipe for success is 1-2 really big professional racing weekends per year that pay 70-80% of the total cost of yearly operations. Then the remainder of the calendar is filled with lesser events to break even or make profit. That is straight out of the ISC playbook and I am sure that ISC is trying to figure out what big events could be brought to Laguna that would draw big-time attendance.

Husker, looks like you were doing a great job out there! You did a great job late-apexing T2 (most people new to the track turn in way too early) and maintaining momentum thru T3 (where many people over brake). Also, you did an excellent job in the blind run up to the corkscrew! You'd be amazed at how many drivers can't get that right.

Also, your driving is smooth and purposeful which keeps the car evenly balanced and makes you look like a pro! Very nice.

If I can comment on a couple of things to think about; first, use all of the track including the low rumble strips at corner entry and exit. This will let you carry a lot more speed through mid-corner.

For example, T4 can be taken almost flat out in a Boxster if you use every inch of the rumble strip at corner entry and exit. Think about it - when this is done properly, the course is almost 3 ft "wider" than someone not using that real estate. It will make a big difference. You'll know you're getting near the limit when you're fighting to keep the car out of the dirt on corner exit. Same thing for T5 and T6.

Second, think about deliberately unwinding the steering wheel and getting back not the throttle as early as possible. The car is scrubbing speed off every moment that the wheel is turned any more than absolutely necessary. Always unwind the wheel early, get on the throttle, and track out at corner exit to the maximum extent possible. And since we're not driving 500hp cars, often you may find that you can get back on the throttle even before the apex without worry of power on oversteer at corner exit.

Too bad faster traffic made you lose the maroon 911 (I was hoping you'd get a point-by and a pass!). You were faster than he was under braking and in the corners and he didn't really pull away that far on the straights.

Great job and thanks for the article and videos!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 08-16-2015 at 02:44 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote