View Single Post
Old 08-12-2015, 07:47 AM   #5
pkp4911

Thanks for replies. To clarify I have 03 S engine which was replaced by reputable Denver area so due to IMS issues. Mileage was alleged to be under 100K with new dual ceramic LN preemptively installed with everything else fine. Car was tracked one time and we believe (despite deeper sump, modified baffles, no over heat/rev) it spun bearing. Initially no bad noises--just oil light and clear knowledge car had lost power before I shut it down for nearly two hours before trying again whereupon it started immediately and then died. , Towed to first shop and they pulled MAF, and basically tricked car to start. At this time very loud screeching sound eminated and car was shut off. Having never heard a M96 go bad, the screech is highly foreign sound vs. Knocks/knocking in earlier AC 911 motors. Towed to where purchased (lots of M96 experience) and they pulled oil filter which had many fine shiny parts. They believe a bearing failure which per the owner of the shop implies probable crank issue, thus in his opinion is better to source replacement engine even vs. Marrying two engines which he won't do. (And I find a mystery). I located an 03 S engine with bad cylinder head (bent valves) but otherwise low mileage with good psi in other cylinder bank at good price. (Under $1K) Thought we could use my top end and ims with the bottom end of the other engine. Shop won't do it, so back to square one. I initially bought this car to dip my toe in water on water cooled. Believed this car was decent basis. Am very bummed having owned 6 911's over 35 years. My current 2.4 E has 20 years of DE/ track mileage and never had a failure. It is now too valuable to keep on track which is why I thought I'd go boxster route and maybe even explore spec series.
Sorry long winded. Ideally I'd like to find replacement motor or a shop in Denver area willing to merge two engines. I think I can do that for less than entire engine since they are trending in the $5-6K range for 01-03 (min 03 obviously preference). Price vs cost. Thoughts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
pkp4911 is offline   Reply With Quote